The complete guide to SMART goals and how you can create effective goals
What are SMART Goals?
The acronym "SMART" was coined by George T. Doran in 1979. It is widely used to define the five aspects of an effective goal. It must be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-framed.
Specific: The goal needs to be specific enough to decide what actions need to be done to accomplish the goal .
Measurable: you need to know whether or not the goal has been achieved.
Attainable: The goal should be achievable with the available resources.
Relevant: You need to make sure that the goal is worthwhile and will help to reach long term objectives.
Time-bound: A time limit needs to be set for the desired outcomes.
Benefits of Setting SMART Goals
Goals are an important part of any business strategy. Setting SMART goals is the best way to reach them.
There are many benefits of setting SMART goals. They provide clarity and focus. They can easily motivate people to achieve their goals. The advantages of setting SMART goals outweigh the disadvantages by far.
Goals that are vague are difficult to measure and evaluate objectively. They are not specific enough to know whether they have been reached or not. Goals that are not measurable cannot be evaluated against other goals for progress. Setting goals that are attainable will help you stay motivated and committed.
Relevant goals will help to map out the steps needed. This is needed to reach the goal while time-bound goals empower you with a sense of urgency. You won’t procrastinate on achieving your goals any longer.
How to Create Effective SMART Goals
By following these steps, you can create an effective SMART goal:
- Decide on something important that you would like to accomplish.
- Estimate how much time it will take to complete this goal
- Estimate how much money it will cost to complete this goal
- Estimate the effects after completing the goal (how much you will earn or save, not only money-related?)
- Identify what you need in order to complete the goal and list them in order of priority
- Define how you measure progress and the final result
- Double check if the goal is SMART
- Create a plan and share it with someone else. Do this so they can hold you accountable and offer feedback on your progress
Conclusion: The Importance of Setting Goals & How SMART Goals Help You Achieve Success
Setting goals is an important step in achieving success. SMART goals are helpful because they are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-bound.
Setting smart goals is the most successful way to reach your desired outcome. They are essential if you want to set yourself up for success.
By following the 8 steps, you will have the ability to start planning for your future. You will have the power to work towards achieving any goal that you might have in mind.